This fisherman's mission is to save mangroves


READ MORE Fisherman
KANNUR: There are quite a few similarities between Kallen Pokkudan
 
 kl2 Kallen Pokkudan    Being with Nature
 
  and Parayil Rajan. Both of them belong to the lowest strata of the society. Both have devoted their life for the conservation of mangroves and both live near Pazhayangadi in Kannur.

However, there is a huge difference too! While Pokkudan is acclaimed for his mission to protect mangroves and that crusade has given him the pet name Kandal Pokkudan (Kandal means mangrove in Malayalam), Rajan is known by few and no recognition has come his way. But, least bothered about name and fame, he is on his path as before and now he has prepared a CD to help students and researchers understand the importance of mangrove cultivation and conservation.

"Since I was born and brought up on the river banks I began planting mangroves even as a teenager though I was least aware of the ecological aspects of planting or conserving mangroves," says the 49-year-old fisherman from Thavam near Pazhyangadi who left school after primary education. Over the years he has planted mangroves in many places in Kannur and Kozhikode districts and also supplied its seeds to many who love planting mangroves.

In the beginning he did it whenever he had spare time along with fishing but was not much aware of the varieties of mangroves and their characteristics.

"Over the years, I learnt a lot about mangroves and studied about nearly 20 varieties. Now I want to share that with the world, so I prepared a CD especially when students and researchers started approaching me as part of various projects," he says. Though when he approached the school authorities for exhibiting it, they talked about the formalities involved. He wasn't keen. However, he did some private screening and also gave the copy to those who are interested to know about mangroves. "I want to exhibit the CD all over the state to make people aware of the importance of mangrove conservation and also teach them how to conserve it," he says.

But despite knowing that the mangroves are the lungs of the earth, people indiscriminately destroy mangroves and it is dangerous because it affects a whole eco system, warns Rajan.

"The wetlands where mangroves are grown are home to a variety of fish and birds and also it purifies water apart from regulating the atmospheric temperature. To share my knowledge with the world I haven't got many platforms because I am still a non-entity in the circle of environmental activists," says the unknown crusader.

"But I will continue my mission without bothering about recognition as long as my wife and children support me."

No comments:

Post a Comment