Rare species of butterfly spotted in Chandigarh


CHANDIGARH: The next time you spot a dried leaf in your garden, look carefully before stepping on it or throwing it. It might just be the new winged beauty, Orange Oakleaf butterfly, that has migrated to the city. Categorized rare in the City Beautiful, the butterfly has been spotted by UT forest-cum-wildlife department photographer and lepidopterologist Kulbhushan Kanwar.

"I am working on butterflies since 2007 but I have never come across Orange Oakleaf Butterfly in the city. My friend and a group member, Tilak Raj Sharma, showed me the butterfly that looked like a dead leaf. I could identify it only when it fluttered. When I clicked this butterfly, it was feasting on a rotten apple. It has been spotted only two to three times and that too in pair. So, the exact count is not available," he said.
The winged beauty was clicked at Sector-48A, Chandigarh on Monday with closed as well as open wings. Orange Oakleaf Butterfly, scientifically known as Kallima Inachus, belongs to the family Nymphalidae and has a wingspan of 85-110 mm.

Kanwar said the butterfly is not only unique in its looks, but behaviour too. "When I went close to click it with macro lens, it flied higher. I kept an eye on it and suddenly a mynah came from the other direction and tried to capture it. Right then the butterfly came down and occupied a stationary pose with wings closed, succeeding to save itself from the bird. A perfect camouflage," he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment